Subscription Decisions (Info. Request) Birdie MacLennan 14 Aug 1992 02:32 UTC

2 messages, 62 lines:
------------------------

Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 1992 16:58:10 PDT
From:         Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSUVAX1.SFSU.EDU>

To the editor (since you did not identify yourself):

  I think probably the best way for a librarian to decide if a journal is
appropriate for his/her library is if a sample copy is received so that
it can be evaluated by the appropriate selector.  Another (but not
as good method) is to have it reviewed in an academic journal or
library journal (ask your local reference librarian to show you some
of these and the reviews).

  Unfortunately, I think this is a very bad economic time to try to
sell new journals to libraries.  Libraries world-wide are cutting back
on their periodical subscriptions and most academic libraries are
struggling to maintain the existing subscriptions they have to
support the curriculums(?).

  I would say, personally, that the two most important factors in
determining if a periodical should be purchased is: 1.) relevance
to the mission of the library (e.g. in academic libraries, support
of the classes - required reading, etc), and, 2.) COST!
This year we had to cancel approximately 500 periodical titles,
including: Sesame street, and, Brain Research  (those are two
DIFFERENT titles, not one,  ;-)

* Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian            *
* San Francisco State University Library     *
* 1630 Holloway Ave., S.F., CA  94132        *
* Voice: (415) 338-7883  FAX: (415) 338-6199 *
* Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                  *

As usual, should you or any of your opinions
be caught or killed, the library will
disavow any knowledge of your actions.

-- From our friendly lawyers at Dewey, Cheatum & How

Date:         Thu, 13 Aug 1992 18:07:00 EST
From:         Ellen Rappaport <RAPPAPE%SLSCVA@SNYCENVA.BITNET>

Journals are also reviewed (as books are) in some of the library
journals.  Sorry, it's been too long since I've done that sort of
library work to give you specific citations, but you'll probably
get some suggestions on Bitnet.  If not, ask your nearest reference
librarian where s/he would look for reviews of new journals.

Ellen Rappaport
Free-lancing, more involved with library automation than with
    buying journals, these days.
RAPPAPE%SLSCVA@SNYCENVA
Albany, NY