Pulling Serials/Binding Priorities Birdie MacLennan 22 Sep 1992 22:27 UTC

3 messages, 75 lines:
-------------------------

Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 1992 13:43:19 EST
From:         Margaret Blair <MBLAIR@UMAB.BITNET>
Subject:      Pulling serials for binding

We are a health sciences library.  We do pull issues from our shelves just
about a week before they are to be picked up.  We have a 2-week turnaround
with our binder, so the longest any item will be unavailable is about 3
weeks.  We average our shipments based on the size of the binding budget
and the average cost of binding.  That for us averages 75-80 vols per week.
Are you using an automated system?  Ours is supposed to produce a list for us
of items that are ready to bind--but it's not always right!?!

Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 1992 15:53:19 LCL
From:         Vicki Stanton <VSTANTON@UNF1VM.BITNET>
Subject:      Re: Pulling serials for binding

for binding when the first issue of the next binding unit is received.
When v.7,no.1 is received, we write a note (or print the check-in
screen) saying "pull v.6, no.1-12."  Our check-in screen shows binding
units, so this works for issues that are bound more frequently than the
bibliographic volume.  This means our shipments are uneven, with the
heaviest binding occuring in Feb-March, when most calendar volumes are
received, however, it gets the issues bound as soon as possible, and
leaves the most current volume on the shelf.  This is an additional duty
for the poster, but it saves us from having to keep a separate binding
file.

We do have a list of under 300 volumes that we rush bind.  I have
tried to sort them by the semester in which the binding unit is
completed, but I have been completely unsuccessful.  There was always
an issue that was late, something that changed frequency, or a volume
that grew so fast it had to be bound in two physical volumes.  Now we
search the complete list at the end of every semester, and bind whatever
is complete.  We make the slips for our rush binding before we pull the
issues, which allows them to stay on the shelf longer.  We proof the
slips when we pull the issues, and sometimes have to make corrections
because we didn't have the issues in hand when the slips were made.
I am will to do this for rush items, but not for all of our binding.

Regarding binding priorities, during budget cuts last year, our
Periodicals Librarian (in a Public Services position), reviewed every
issue before we pulled for binding.  If she felt it wasn't highly used,
we added the title to a file of deferred binding, and left the loose
issues on the shelf.  We decided not to bind about one third of our
journals.  Luckily, we received some catch up money, and it was a simple
matter to pull the issues from our deferred list.

And for my last topic, here's how we do thesis.  We require that
students provide two copies of their thesis to the library, and they are
also required to pay $10.00 for each of  the library copies.  We will
also bind personal copies, at $10.00 each.  I have not heard many
complaints, and we have students binding as many as 8 copies of their
thesis!  We make sure that they have all the library's thesis
requirements early in their research, so the charge is not a surprise to
them.

Vicki Stanton                  (904) 646-2550 : SUNCOM 861-2550
Serials Department                             FAX 904-646-2719
University of North Florida Library              P.O. Box 16761
4567 St. Johns Bluff Road, South         Jacksonville, FL 32216
BITNET: vstanton@UNF1VM   INTERNET: vstanton@unf1vm.cis.unf.edu

Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 92 17:04:00 PDT
From:      Rolfe Gjellstad <REG@HERALD.DIVINITY.YALE.EDU>

Our check-in staff use schemes like flagging, paper clipping, or just sorting
into a separate pile at check-in if an issue is the first of a new vol. or
binding unit.  Unless issues of the old vol. have to be claimed, it usually
gets shipped to the bindery within 2 weeks and returned 2 weeks after that.
We can retrieve it for patron use until 2 days before shipment.