Classifying Serials Birdie MacLennan 29 Sep 1992 14:37 UTC

2 messages, 71 lines:
-------------------------

Date:         Mon, 28 Sep 1992 16:35:51 PDT
From:         Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSUVAX1.SFSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Classifying Serials

To: Julie Su:

  Sorry I didn't retain my original message regarding shelving of
periodicals.  I don't remember everything I said, but it included:

Our practise has been to shelve by title.  Arguments against shelving by
call number include:

  The periodicals Dept. is separate from the rest of the stacks.  There
would be confusion if the periodicals dept. had the same call numbers
and the possibilty of periodicals mistakenly mishelved in the Main
stacks could happen.

  Reshelving all the periodicals into call number order (not counting
the massive call number relabeling) would be a massive job and require
too much staff time.

  Too much maintenance of stacks if the periodicals were shelved with
the Main (book) collection.  Stacks would have to be continously
maintained and adjusted to handle more bound periodicals being
constantly added.  By restricting it to the Periodicals Dept., this
minimizes the maintenance in the Main stacks.

  Many people do not want to look up the call number of a periodical to
find the bound volumes, especially if the unbound issues are shelved by
title (no one has suggested that the unbound issues be shelved by call
number).

  At San Jose State, they have CLOSED periodical stacks in order to
accomodate the unbound periodicals with call numbers.  We do not have
the staff to page all the periodicals students request.

  My personal opinion is that it would benefit everyone in the long run
to have the periodicals in the same classification as the main (book)
stacks if, for no other reasons, the title changes can be kept together
afterwards and so that similar topics can be shelved next to one
another.  Unfortunately, my opinion is not in the majority.
* Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian            *
* San Francisco State University Library     *
* 1630 Holloway Ave., S.F., CA  94132        *
* Voice: (415) 338-7883  FAX: (415) 338-6199 *
* Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                  *

As usual, should you or any of your opinions
be caught or killed, the library will
disavow any knowledge of your actions.

Date:         Mon, 28 Sep 1992 17:09:00 +0000
From:         BROWNP%AC%CSC@CSC.ISU.EDU

When you shelve classified serials separately from the monographs
but in the same area you only have to shift the serials area when
you run out of space for serials.  And conversely, you have to shift
the whole area if you shelve them in proper sequence with the mono-
graphs.

Phyllis Brown
Acquisitions
ISU Library