Disposing of Unwanted Serial Issues Birdie MacLennan 13 Oct 1992 17:02 UTC

2 messages, 35 lines:
------------------------

Date:         Tue, 13 Oct 1992 11:36:22 -0400
From:         Lee Krieger <lkrieger@CC.GETTYSBURG.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Disposing of Unwanted Serial Issues

                Serials Librarian
                Sims Memorial Library
                Southeastern Louisiana University

 There doesn't seem to be one particular method of disposing of unwanted
issues and finding replacement issues. For the most part we use the same
methods that you have used. A lot depends on the nature of the title
you're trying to deal with. We have found that we use USBE and the EBSCO
copy bank for a lot of replacements. Much of the backlog of older issue
we want to get  rid of go to exchange programs, some dealers and annual
book sales.

 Lee Krieger                            email: lkrieger@gettysburg.edu
 Technical Services Librarian           phone: 717-337-7007
 Musselman Library
 Gettysburg College
 Gettysburg, PA 17325

Date:         Tue, 13 Oct 1992 08:13:09 -0700
From:         SWEET@PC.BITNET

     Here at Phoenix College Library for along time all discards
went into the trash.  I finally implemented many of the
procedures you do but with one more.  We have an arrangement with
the Arizona jail and prison systems.  They are always in need of
reading materials, magazines and books on all subjects.  They
will even come and pick them up.  I feel this keeps the material
out of the landfill for a bit longer and it is being used.