Circulation of periodicals Birdie MacLennan 26 Oct 1992 21:04 UTC

2 messages, 40 lines:
------------------------

Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1992 08:59:06 PST
From:         Maggie Freed <mwfreed@PHAD.HSC.USC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Circulation of periodicals

For the past 5 (?) years we have not circulated most periodicals.  Prebound
annuals, yearbooks, and monographic series circulate for 2 weeks (the same as
books in our library).  When we changed to non-circ. status, it was upon the
advice of our library committee (a little support from faculty & students).
At the same time, we increased the number of photocopy machines in the
library.  It has resulted in better satisfaction (on the whole), though you
can't please everyone all the time.  Some of the complaints are from those
who could get free photocopying at their offices--they now have to use our
machines.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
*  Maggie Freed                       213/342-1973 (voice)     *
*  aka Margaret Wineburgh-Freed       213/221-1235 (fax)       *
*  Norris Medical Library             mwfreed@phad.hsc.usc.edu *
*  University of Southern California                           *
*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1992 11:26:50 -0600
From:         Bernice Wright, SFA Library
              <F_WRIGHTBM@CCSVAX.SFASU.EDU>

Check outs on periodicals:  These are done on an individual basis approved
by reference librarians only (not classified Reference Desk staff).
Faculty and graduate students are most likely to get permission for a
special check out, but a librarian has the discretion to refuse special
check outs if the material is needed inhouse or to grant special
check outs to undergraduates.  The number of special checkouts we do is
pretty limited.

Bernice Wright
Referrence Librarian
Stephen F. Austin State University Library