Back Runs of Daily Newspapers (Jane Gawthrope) Marcia Tuttle 05 Nov 1992 03:46 UTC

Date:         Thu, 5 Nov 1992 10:05:03 BST
From: Jane A Gawthrope <Jane.Gawthrope@BRUNEL.AC.UK>
Subject:      newspaper back runs

A rather prosaic question, but I'm looking for ideas on how to store back
issues of daily newspapers. Here at Brunel we keep them in the Periodicals
Office, and readers must come and ask for the ones they want at the
window. This is unsatisfactory because:

1. We don't have the storage space to keep more than 6 months of any title

2. A lot of staff time is taken up fetching and carrying.

3. We have no record of who has what, ie. if the reader asks for a whole
week, we just had them over and rely on honesty to get a week back.

Our security triggers are useless for newspapers, and if we put them on
public access I'm scared that they'll get in a big mess very quickly.

Any ideas, comments or solutions welcome!

Jane Gawthrope
Brunel University Library
Uxbridge, Middx, UK

Jane.Gawthrope@brunel.ac.uk