ALA Filing Rules for Abbreviations (Martha Gunnarson) Marcia Tuttle 06 Nov 1992 04:04 UTC

Date:         Fri, 6 Nov 1992 08:22:01 -0500
From: Martha Gunnarson <mg@WPI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: ALA Filing Rules for Abbreviations

> From: Lori Robare <lrobare@JUPITER.WILLAMETTE.EDU>
> Subject:      ALA fililng rules for abbreviations
>
> Our periodicals collection is arranged by title.  Titles that begin with
> (or consist of) abbreviations are at the beginning of each letter of the
> alphabet.  We're considering switching to a dictionary arrangement, partly
> because of the general confusion the ALA fililng system has always caused
> and partly because it seems to make sense to be consistent with the
> computerized bibliographic sources in our library.
>
> I'd like to hear what others think of this.  Has anyone made such a
> change?

We have made this change. We started in 1989 when re-shelving part of our
bound periodical collection. (Current issues and pre-1975 bound volumes
remained in ALA order.) This past summer we re-shelved the entire
collection, and had the opportunity to put the all the titles in straight
dictionary order.

~ Martha Gunnarson     mg@wpi.wpi.edu (Internet)                        ~
~ Gordon Library  Worcester Polytechnic Institute  Worcester, MA  01609  ~
~ "Everyone here is crazy so I fit right in."                            ~