Title Change? (Christie Degener) Marcia Tuttle 06 Nov 1992 11:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 92 16:38:04 EST
From: cdegener@med.unc.edu (Christie Degener)
Subject: Title Change?

The press of other work has kept me from having to decide if the following
constitutes a title change:  SEMINARS IN ULTRASOUND, CT, AND MR changed as
of Feb. 1992 to:  SEMINARS IN ULTRASOUND, CT, AND MRI (note the addition
of the final letter).  My interpretation of AACR2(r) 21.2A and the
corresponding LCRI (latest version in CSB#50), and the mention of this as
a title change on another library's periodicals list make me resigned to
creating a new record to accommodate an admittedly subtle change.
Furthermore, I've been told that one should not count a preposition ("in")
or a conjunction ("and") when considering if the title change comes within
the first 5 words.  That's why the change from EUROPEAN ARCHIVES OF
PSYCHIATRY AND NEUROLOGICAL SCIENCES to EUROPEAN ARCHIVES OF PSYCHIATRY
AND CLINICAL NEUROSCIENCE required a new record in OCLC.

However, the OCLC record for SEMINARS IN ULTRASOUND, CT, AND MR
(#10871915) is still open and now has a note and a 246 field for the title
version ending in "MRI." Comments from my cataloging colleagues may be
sent directly to me; I'd appreciate hearing if other catalogers think the
OCLC record changes accurately reflect current cataloging policies.

Christie Degener, Serials Librarian
Health Sciences Library, UNC-Chapel Hill
cdegener@med.unc.edu