budget/resources allocations Birdie MacLennan 11 Nov 1992 17:49 UTC

4 messages, 64 lines:
-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 10 Nov 1992 16:46:08 CST
From:         Naomi Fackler <FACKLER@TAMVM1.BITNET>
Subject:      Re: budget/resources allocations

We have continuations as a separate budget item. We also had a separate
budget for CD-ROMS which we have changed to Electronic Resources to accom-
modate the new online journals. We can track subject areas across budget
categories with expenditure class codes in our automated system (NOTIS).

Naomi Fackler
Medical Sciences Library
Texas A&M University

Date:         Wed, 11 Nov 1992 09:07:00 +1000
From:         Graham Black <BLACKG@TOPAZ.UCQ.EDU.AU>

If the title involves ongoing committment we include it in our serials
budget.  It the title has a finite life, eg., a series will be complete
after x volumes in y years we include it in our monographs budget.

Graham Black
Associate Librarian - Technical Services
University of Central Queensland
Rockhampton,  Queensland , Australia

Date:         Tue, 10 Nov 1992 14:42:26 HST
From:         Carol Schaafsma <CAROLS@UHUNIX.BITNET>
Subject:      Allocations for s.o.s and continuations

At the University of Hawaii Library we include standing orders and
continuations as part of the serials budget.  We have done studies, from time
to time, and have found that these quasi-serials account for 12-15% of the
total serials budget.  This percentage is going down now as budgets get
tighter and collection development personnel are forced to be more selective.

We handle CD-ROMs as serials if they are on-going, received serially and have
annual fees.  One-time purchases of CD-ROMs are treated as monographs.

Carol Schaafsma
Serials Department
University of Hawaii Library

Date:         Tue, 10 Nov 1992 19:42:00 EDT
From:         Johanna Bowen <BOWEN@SNYCORVA.BITNET>
Subject:      budget/resources allocations

At our library the CD-ROM subscriptions for indexing titles are funded in the
Serials budget. Many under/unused periodicaI and serial titles were cancelled
in the past few years, yet we have attempted to expand the CD-ROM access tools.
It is assumed, as we cannot prove it, that the incredibly powerful searching
capacity of these access tools has intensified and increased the use of the
core titles which we have retained. Students will search extensively for
references to titles which we own.  ILL has gone up a bit, but we are a net
lender so it doesn't have much impact. The monograph budget is allocated to
funds by a complex formula but the serials budget is less controllable.

Johanna Bowen
SUNY College at Cortland
bowen@snycorva