Use Studies for Periodical Collections Birdie MacLennan 09 Jan 1993 01:11 UTC

2 messages: 34 lines:
-----------------------

Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 1993 16:41:47 EST
From:         Margaret Blair <MBLAIR@UMAB.BITNET>
Subject:      Use Studies for Periodical Collections

We do not allow our journals to circulate, so the only way to study them
that seems to work for us is to record the use on paper and then enter it
into an Excel program so that it can be manipulated.  We do this one day per
week - a different day each week - all year long.  We have used this data
to justify cancellations.  If you would like to hear more, I would be glad
to hear from you.

Margaret Blair, Acq/Serials Librarian, Health Sciences Library,
University of Maryland at Baltimore, 111 S. Greene St.,
Baltimore, MD  21201, 410-706-7760.

Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 1993 16:41:19 CST
From:         Naomi Fackler <FACKLER@TAMVM1.BITNET>
Subject:      Re: Use Studies for Periodical Collections

We ran labels from a list of our journals in a dbase file. We attached the
labels and a bar code to roladex cards. Set up a dummy item in NOTIS for
use statistics. Put signs in current journals and stacks not to reshelve.
Journals are gathered for reshelving, brought to the circ desk to wand in the
barcode.  We have about 2,000 titles. This fills 2 large and 1 medium sized
roladex.  They sit on the circ desk.

Naomi Fackler
Medical Sciences Library
Texas A&M University