Physical Review A query Birdie MacLennan 12 Mar 1993 03:26 UTC

7 messages, 131 lines:
--------------------------

Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1993 14:51:33 -0700
From:         "TODD F. MILLS" <tomills@DIANA.CAIR.DU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Physical Review A query

In a nutshell here is the history of Physical Review:

In 1990 (vol. 41), Part A, which had already been issued semimonthly,
split into two parts, still both designated "A".  Part A issued on the
1st of the month had one subtitle, and Part A issued on the 15th of
the month had another subtitle.  This confusing system lasted for 3
years (1990-92), and in 1993 Part A issued on the 15th of the month
was redesignated Part E.  Parts A and E as of 1993 are thus both
monthly.
Hope this helps.

Todd Mills, Serials Cataloger
University of Denver
tomills@du.edu

Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1993 14:40:17 -0600
From:         Luellen Breed <breed@CS.UWP.EDU>

Physical Review A[1]:Atomic, molecular & optical physics and Physical Review
A[15]:Statistical physics, plasmas, etc. changed as of Jan. 1.  A[15] became
Physical Review E.  Both A and E are numbered volume 47 for 1993.  We've
received Vol. 47, numbers 1 & 2 for A and also Vol. 47, numbers 1 & 2 for E.

Hope this helps.

Luellen L. Breed
Serials Librarian
Library/Learning Center
University of Wisconsin - Parkside
Kenosha, WI  53141
breed@cs.uwp.edu

Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1993 16:20:23 CST
From:         Kevin M Randall <KRANDAL@NUACVM.ACNS.NWU.EDU>

Debra:  This one took us a while to figure out, too, as I remember.  Two
notes we have in our record now for Physical Review A explain the situation
(I hope):

     500/1:  : |a Issues published on the 1st of the month have section
       title: Atomic, molecular, and optical physics; issues published
       on the 15th of the month have section title: Statistical physics,
       plasmas, fluids, and related interdisciplinary topics.

     580/2:  : |a The section published on the 15th of the month with
       title "Statistical physics, plasmas, fluids, and related
       interdisciplinary topics" was continued in 1993 by: Physical
       review. E, Statistical physics, plasmas, fluids, and related
       interdisciplinary topics.

(Looking at it again now makes me think that we should put some dates
or something in that first note...)

We then have a linking field referring to Physical Review E, which started
with v. 47.  (Physical Review A, which had been semimonthly, changed to
monthly with v. 47.)

Hope this helps.

Kevin M. Randall
Head, Serials Cataloging Section
Northwestern University Library

Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1993 13:28:03 -0500
From:         S. Katherine Johnson <kjohnson@CC.GETTYSBURG.EDU>

Debra, and all interested parties,

I recently cataloged these titles for our own library.  According to my
understanding, you should now be getting 2 titles, _Physical review A_,
and _Physical review E_, instead of just _Physical review A_.  In essence,
_Physical review A_ has split into 2 titles to take into account their
different emphases.  We got both titles/issues with our one subscription.

S. Katherine Johnson
Asst. Technical Services Librarian        kjohnson@cc.gettysburg.edu
Gettysburg College
Gettysburg, PA  17325                     (717 337-7017)

Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1993 10:40:03 -0800
From:         Hsiaoching Li <lhc@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>

Hi, Here at the University of Washington Libraries, we already catalogued
physical review E. It is treated as a separate title. If your library has
OCLC, it should be on it now. Thanks. Li

Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1993 13:58:00 EST
From:         "RIOUX, MARGARET A" <c78_mar1@RED.WHOI.EDU>

Re Debra Wynn's query - Physical Review A, which was 2/month, has split
into two separate titles - Physical Review A and Physical Review E,
both monthlies.  We were informed by our agent & had to re-order if we
wanted to continue either or both piece(s).  I don't have info handy
on the respective scopes of the sections, but basically, each section
got part of the old section A's scope.
  Hope this helps.

Maggie Rioux
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
mrioux@whoi.edu

Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1993 19:32:58 -0500
From:         Shiela Osheroff <osherofs@ccmail.orst.edu>
Subject:      Physical Review A

Hi Debra:  What you're seeing is half of a title split, with the former 15th of
the month issue getting its own section letter and section title: Statistical
physics, plasmas, fluids, and related interdisciplinary topics.  In addition to
continuing Physical review A, your agent should also have offered you a
subscription to Physical review E.  According to OCLC # 26103502, this new
section started with Ser.3, v. 47, no. 1 (Jan. 1993) and is monthly.  Hope this
helps!  - Shiela Osheroff, Asst. Head - Acquisitions, Oregon State U.
osherofs@ccmail.orst.edu