Re: Serials Check-in (fwd) Marcia Tuttle 15 Mar 1993 10:09 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1993 11:35:40 EST
From: Edward Vielmetti <emv@MSEN.COM>
Subject: Re: Serials Check-in

One thing that bugs me (as a patron) about most serials collections these
days is that the shelf space is so tight that the covers of the current
issues are not available to be looked at.  This makes it difficult to do a
quick once-over to determine whether there's anything new worth reading.

A way that publishers are dealing with this (and also dealing with the
fact that many libraries are canceling their titles!) is to distribute
tables of contents of new issues by e-mail as they come out.  That's good
as far as it goes especially if you are really interested in a particular
issue, but not a real substitute for scanning a full collection.

I think that a wall full of xerox copies of the front covers of the
current check-ins would be a useful substitute - anyone doing this now?
Any guess as to how this would fit with / goof up the checkin process?

  Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, Msen Inc. emv@Msen.com
Msen Inc., 628 Brooks, Ann Arbor MI 48103 +1 313 998 4562 (fax: 998 4563)