ACM,IEEE,ASME (fwd) Marcia Tuttle 17 Mar 1993 16:10 UTC

This is a second try for a message that apparently did not go out the
first time. -Marcia

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1993 09:12:01 MST
From: Patricia Frade <LIBPAF@VM.BYU.EDU>
Subject: ACM,IEEE,ASME

I have a question that I would like imput on.  Here at BYU we have a
standing order for the ACM conference proceedings, IEEE conference
publications, & ASME publications.  As I search these titles on the
utilities (RLIN & OCLC) I find that most of the records are book records.
My question is why - why are these publications being cataloged as books
where they are mostly serials?  These titles have numbering (volume/years)
and usually appear to be annual or biennial.  When I search RLIN & OCLC I
find book records and maybe 1 serial record & I don't understand the
discrepancy.  Even in our library if one of these publications comes
through a different sort or route, it may be cataloged as a book, and then
several issues later it is caught and redone as a serial. Should these
publications really be done as serials, or am I missing something?

Please reply to me, and I will summarize on SERIALST.  Thank you for your
help.

Pat Frade
Serial Cataloger
Brigham Young University
LIBPAF@VM.BYU.EDU

P.S.  Some of these creatures have slightly different titles each time they are
 issued.  Is anyone processing them as title changes or as title varies notes?