Journal Security (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 14 Apr 1993 16:24 UTC

2 messages, 42 lines:
----------------------
Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 1993 09:12:09 -0600
From:         Cynthia M. Coulter <COULTER@ISCSVAX.UNI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Journal security

At the University of Northern Iowa, we have not made decisions for security
stripping by specific title.  Approximately 50% of the issues received in a
month receive security stripping.  At the start of each month, a staff member
places a large red "X" on half of the working days of the month.  We assign
these days randomly.  On those days, all issues checked in receive the security
stripping.  Result, approximately 50%.  We also automatically strip those few
titles designated for our periodicals desk because one of the reasons for that
location involves high use and potential theft.

So far, our system has worked.  It seems to provide a comfortable balance of
student time (doing the actual application), supplies costs, and theft
detection.

---------------------------------
Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 1993 07:23:00 CST
From:         Kathie Martin <KMARTIN@GACVAX1.BITNET>

When we initiated the 3M Security System, the librarians reviewed the list of
current periodicals and identified those titles which we should secure.  They
made this determination based on price and use.

A list of these titles is kept with our binding operation so that any which
have not been "secured" will receive one strip in the bound volume.

As Serials Manager, I decide which additional titles should be "stripped."
Most often it will be because we are discovering missing issues for the
particular title.

Thanks Richard, for raising this question.  We will be interested in
hearing how other libraries are handling this issue.

 Kathie Martin, Serials Manager             Voice: (507) 933-7562
 Gustavus Adolphus College Library          FAX:   (507) 933-7041
 St. Peter, MN  56082
                                            Internet:
 Bitnet: kmartin@gacvax1                      kmartin@vax1.gac.edu