_Physical Review_ article (Mark Braden) Marcia Tuttle 20 Apr 1993 09:27 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1993 10:56:59 PDT
From: Mark Braden <marker@CHESHIRE.OXY.EDU>
Subject: physical review article

(If you've been reading ACQNET, you might recall the discussion about Acq.
librarianship and working a 40-hour week.  I sent in a note along with others.
Joe Barker, Chuck Hamaker et. al. would be amused that I'm writing something
to a discussion group on my day off.  But it seemed good to send it off
right away!)

I decided to send this note to the Serials Discussion Group, in part for the
timeliness, and to fill our screens with something other than discussions of
the latest NOTIS checkin record :-).

Many of you probably read the New York Times (this Pasadenan prefers it to
the Los Angeles Times), but if you don't, check the article in today's (20
April) Living Arts, front page:

        "Physicists celebrate unintelligible journal with clearest praise",
                NY Times, page B1 ff.

It's rather interesting reading, and has a few amusing notes such as:

        "The theory of relativity," one of the physicists at the meeting
                joked, "states that nothing can expand faster than the
                speed of light, unless it conveys no information.  This
                accounts for the astonishing expansion rate of The Physical
                Review."

Cheers!
--Mark
Mark Braden                             Internet: marker@oxy.edu
Systems Librarian                       (213) 259-2668
Occidental College Library              Facsimile: (213) 341-4991
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, California  90041-3392

"A little California always does good.  Especially for East German writers.
They should all get stipends to go to California."
                                --Martin Walser, German writer
                                NYTimes Magazine, 10 January 1993
This note reflects my own thoughts, no one else's