Statement of "Members use only" (Clarice Luce) Marcia Tuttle 26 Apr 1993 03:30 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1993 16:47:34 CST-6CDT
From: Clarice Luce <CLUCE@LIBRARY.UNT.EDU>
Subject: Statement of "Members use only"

The University of North Texas Libraries has been given a gift of
several volumes of two different periodical titles published by a
commercial publisher for a society.  The statement on the front of
each issue says for "Member's Use Only."  Library use is prohibited
for five years from the date of publication.

We would like to know if other libraries have faced this problem, and
if so, what decision did you make.  We do not want to do anything
illegal; however, how legally binding is the statement?

These are titles to which we do not subscribe and probably will not
in the future; however, we do see some use for having them in our
collection.  When the faculty member contacted us to see if we wanted
the gift, we did not realize that they were restricted in use.  The
faculty member's wife is the actual member of the society and she
was cleaning out her office.

We have a call in to the publisher to see how they feel about it, but
we have not yet received a reply.  Any thoughts?
Clarice Luce                        INTERNET: CLUCE@LIBRARY.UNT.EDU
ASST. ACQUISITIONS LIBRARIAN        BITNET:   FC03@UNTVAX
University of North Texas           PHONE: (817) 565-2516
FAX: (817) 565-2599