Re. Deleting holdings in OCLC (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 07 May 1993 21:04 UTC

3 messages, 65 lines:
-------------------------

Date:         Fri, 7 May 1993 11:54:00 EDT
From:         Naomi Kietzke <NAOMIK@UNCMVS.OIT.UNC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Deleting holdings in OCLC

> I would like to ask about a twist on this.
> When you change a record from being catalogued as a monograph to
> being catalogued as a serial (its true nature only being revealed with
> the passage of time), do you delete your holdings symbol from the
> monographic records? ...

  Yes, we do retain our holdings on all records involved.  While it
can be somewhat confusing for searchers and ILL personnel, we feel
this policy is best; after all, it's generally the content of the
item that is important to the prospective user, not our library's
treatment decision.

Naomi Kietzke
Library Tech. Asst., Serials Cataloging
naomik@uncmvs.oit.unc.edu

-----------------------------------
Date:         Fri, 7 May 1993 11:36:25 EDT
From:         Sharon L. Wiles-Young <slw0@LEHIGH.EDU>
Subject:      Deleting holdings in OCLC

I do delete the holding symbol from the monograph record when I have switch to
cataloging an item as a serial. We are planning to move to another Local
online library system and just in case the current records on our old system
will not transfer completely (heaven forbid) we will need to use our OCLC
tapes. I would not want a monographic record and a serial record in our online
system for the same title so I have just assumed that I should handle our OCLC
records the same.

But to further complicate the issue, when you think of the general public
using FirstSearch I wonder if having your location in both places would give
more access to the item?

Sharon Wiles-Young
Serials Manager
Lehigh University                        Internet: slw0@Lehigh.edu
Linderman Library                        Fax:      (215) 758-4506
30 Library Drive                         Phone:    (215) 758-3046
Bethlehem, PA 18015-3067

----------------------------------
Date:         Fri, 7 May 1993 11:37:31 CDT
From:         Mary Johns <LLJOHN@LSUVM.BITNET>

I do delete holdings in this situation, since if the item is ever withdrawn
we wouldn't know to delete holdings on the monograph records.  Also since
this was not done consistently in the past, when we tape loaded our OCLC
records into our local system, many of those monograph records still show
up.  I will be deleting them for some time.

Mary Johns
Law Library
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, La.