Newspaper vandalism ANN ERCELAWN 20 May 1993 21:38 UTC

Date: 20 May 1993 13:59:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: Marjorie Wilhite 5-5896 <CADMWLTS@UIAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: RE: Newspaper vandalism

Our library places the newspapers we also retain in microform in our
Media Services Room. This is the location where microforms are stored
and used. Approximately twenty titles are displayed here. The current
week's issues are placed on long narrow tables placed against two
interior walls. Signs on the wall behind each table identify the papers.
The older issues are retained on shelves in a back room until the micro-
film is received. Staff are always present in Media Services.

We also display 80 newspapers on shelves in the  area the current
periodicals are housed. The newspapers are not intermixed with the
journals. We have not had very many complaints about vandalism. Once
in a while we will move a newspaper or two to the Serials Information
Window. Patrons must leave their borrower's card when they borrow these
issues to read within the building. There is no staff present in the
current periodicals/newspapers room except student assistants who
reshelve materials several times a day.