3 messages
----------

Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 1993 07:04:22 EDT
From: Kate McCain <MCCAINKW%DUVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject:      Re: Gifts (Mary Page)

Mary -- it may be that the comments were based on the requirements of
members' subscriptions to society journals. My memory is that the American
Chemical Society has a 5 year restriction on deposition of the "member's
copy" in a library. Other societies may have similar restrictions.

Kate McCain                          "bibliometrics R us"
College of Information Studies
Drexel University

mccainkw@duvm.ocs.drexel.edu
----------

Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 1993 08:56:04 CST
From: Patricia O'Neill <peo1@CORNELL.EDU>

Certain organizations will make this type of requirement when their
members purchase journals at reduced rates. For example:  The American
Chemical Society does not allow persons who purchase their journals at the
personal subscriber rate to donate these journals to a library until they
are over 5 years old. If a person does they will (I believe) drum you out
of the society if you donate your journals earlier than that. The ACS is
so serious about this that for some time (and perhaps currently) all
journals mailed out to personal subscribers were stamped with the message
"Personal subscription. This journal may not be donated to a library for 5
years."

Patricia E. O'Neill                            peo1@cornell.edu
Physical Sciences Librarian                    (607) 255-6038
Clark Hall
Cornell University                             Ithaca NY 14853
----------

Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 1993 10:20:22 -0400
From: JUDITH HOPKINS AT SUNY BUFFALO <ULCJH%UBVMS.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

If I am not mistaken the decision not to accept serial gifts unless they
are x number of years old relates to those serials whose publishers
(usually societies rather than commercial publishers) have a two-tier
pricing structure: one for their members (or perhaps all personal
subscribers) and one for libraries. Such publishers sometimes include a
warning in the publications that it is forbidden for individuals to pass
their copies on to libraries. I don't think the legal status of such
warnings has as yet been tested in the courts but some libraries, in an
attempt to respect the restriction, will refuse to accept such serials as
gifts unless they are several years old.

Judith Hopkins                            VOICE: (716) 645-2796
Technical Services Research and Analysis Officer
Central Technical Services                FAX:   (716) 645-5955
Lockwood Library Building
State University of New York at Buffalo   BITNET: ulcjh@ubvm (OR, ubvms)
Buffalo, NY  14260-2200             INTERNET: ulcjh@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu
          Listowner: AUTOCAT@UBVM or AUTOCAT@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU