Gordon & Breach (Mary Page) ANN ERCELAWN 18 Nov 1993 23:34 UTC

Date: 18 Nov 1993 18:02:30 -0500
From: Mary Page <MPAGE@ZODIAC.BITNET>
Subject: gordon & breach

I've been trying to find out what's going on with a couple of very
expensive Gordon & Breach titles.  It's been awhile since we've received
any issues, and our claims have gone unanswered.  Today, I spoke with
one of our serials vendors and heard the most astounding story (even by
G&B standards).  Apparently, other clients are having the same problem,
and the vendor has withheld payments in an effort to get some
cooperation from G&B.  In retaliation (and this is the astounding part),
G&B has threatened to impose a 5% surcharge on the vendor's clients,
unless they pay up by December 31.

We are waiting for more details before we make any decisions, but it
looks as though the choices are: pay up to avoid the surcharge (and hope
that they actually publish and distribute what we've paid for); hold out
to see if we can force G&B's hand; or cancel altogether.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Mary Page
Library of Science & Medicine
Rutgers University