Gordon & Breach (3 messages) ANN ERCELAWN 19 Nov 1993 14:58 UTC

3 messages, 56 lines:
_______________________

Date: 19 Nov 1993 08:54:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Susan Davis <UNLSDB@UBVM.BITNET>
Subject: RE: Gordon & Breach (Mary Page)

We have had a long history of difficulty with Gordon & Breach.  Many
years ago we had direct orders with them, it grew too problematic, so
we switched to using vendors.  We frequently miss entire volumes, and
claim and claim and claim.  But, we did have one positive experience
this summer.  We received a call from a managing editor of one of
the journals we had been missing.  He sent us his own copies to fulfill
our claims (which had been going on for SOME time).

However, I'm looking at a response to our claim for 10 nos. of a G&B
title.  It says replacement issues were sent in early Sept. 1993.  As of Nov.18
we do not have them.  ANd this is typical in our experience.

Due to the high cost of their publications we have cancelled quite a
number.  We did a use study which ended last year and more of their
titles were cancelled.  Its hard to rack up uses when you're not
receiving any issues to put out for the public.

I had not heard about this ultimatum, and I truly hope the vendor
prevails.  I do not envy anybody who had direct dealings with G&B
and I wish we did not subscribe to ANY of their titles. TQM,
customer service, service excellence, etc. are all foreign concepts
to G&B in my opinion.  However, I hear they promise editors significant
marketing efforts so new journals keep popping up on their publications
list.  Who's more important--subscribers or editors?  I think G&B has
made their position quite clear.

These are my own opinions based on over 13 years experience in serials.

Susan Davis
Head, Periodicals/University at Buffalo
___________________

Date: 19 Nov 1993 07:23:28 -0600 (MDT)
From: Kathy Sowa <ggs@LIB.NMSU.EDU>

Mary,
Could I have the names of the titles you are talking about.

Thanks,
Grace

Date: 19 Nov 1993 07:52:00 -0600 (CST)
From: Marjorie Wilhite 5-5896 <CADMWLTS@UIAMVS.BITNET>

What are the problem titles? I would like to look them up in our data-
base and see if we are having the same troubles.