Re: Decentralized Serials Management (Jill McTaggart) Marcia Tuttle 22 Nov 1993 08:35 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 11:29:53 GMT-10
From: Jill McTaggart <BIOMCTAJ@CENTRAL1.LIBRARY.UQ.OZ.AU>
Subject: Re: Decentralized Serials Management (Marian Dworaczek)

> Can anybody comment on the pros and cons of decentralized
> online serials management?  We will be installing Innopac
> within the next 10 months and the decision was made to
> decentralize most (ordering, check-in and claiming) kardex
> operations.
Marian Dworaczek

Could we please see more discussion on this?

We are a branch library at a large university that is investigating
automating serials accessioning. Does anyone have any experience of
direct entry into the system from branches as opposed to central
entry? What are the advantages and disadvantages of centralization
vs decentralization eg. in relation to claims, notes etc.etc.