Cataloging Computer Select (CD-ROM) - (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 13 Dec 1993 13:52 UTC

2 messages, 76 lines:
-------------------------

Date:         Sat, 11 Dec 1993 23:22:19 -0600
From:         Joanna Tousley-Escalante <joanna@CCWF.CC.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Cataloging Computer Select (CD-ROM)

This is where the concept of automated "analytics" and true linked entries
needs to come in.  I can't and don't want to try to imagine what would
happen to our system if I tried to catalog all of the serials on the CD
product discussed previously on one single bib record, but I certainly
would not want to lose access to those individual titles.  The master
level record needs to be for the CD - the physical item we have, but we
also need at a minimum, an analytic entry that consists of the title for
the individual items included.  A good system would indicate on the bib
records that there is more information on another record.  The links would
point both ways between the parent and child records, and links would also
display between peers.  The full description would appear only on the CD,
parent record. Of course a hypertext link would be ideal.

                                     Cordially,
                                     Joanna Tousley-Escalante
                                     Austin Community College
                                     internet:  joanna@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
----------------------------
Date:         Mon, 13 Dec 1993 07:37:33 -0500
From:         JOHN VOGEL <JVOGEL@NHQVAX.HQ.NASA.GOV>
Subject:      cataloging _Computer Select_

        Pat Frade suggested that Computer Select was a different cataloging
form in that it contained 69 full text journals and 100 publications and needed
to have entries for each title added to the collection.

        ON the off chance that this is a cataloging question rather than a
philosophical question, the conser record for this title is LCCN 92-644409;
OCOC #24116850; ISSN 1062-8509.

        Now on to philosophy: (drum roll inserted here)
        First of all, if I have a desire to see the article in Computer XXX
Magazine on Neural Nets, I can get the full text from _Computer Select_.  What
I cannot get is the illustrations and most graphs.  This is fairly important in
some articles.  What you are distributing is close, but not the same as the
original.  _Cataloging_ principles would suggest that it is therefore different
and needs its own record.  Logic dictates that a Library make some attempt to
inform clients/users/'Just plain folk' of what is actually in the library.
The real question here is: "Is the catalog (i.e. the AACR II Catalog) the best
place to do this?"

        I'd suggest that as time goes on, the catalog which follows these
Anglo-American Cataloging Rules will not be an appropriate place for this.  It
may be a part of the central index which contains indexes to your microforms,
access to your catalog, access to your internet gophers, references to the
local speakers bureau, and transparent links to your cd-rom collectins.  Note
the plural in collections when I speak of CD-ROM.

        I went to a demonstration of an information device recently.  It is an
index to Electronic Parts Catalogs.  (This makes bibliographic control seem
whimpy by comparison.)  It allowed not only textual searches, but allowed
searches by values (I need a transistor that will give AT LEAST these values,
Be Space certified, and have a varriance of X or less.)  It was distributed on
64 CD-ROMs, and if you get the full system, comes with all 64 drives and a
Network liscence.

        Hundreds of catalogs were indexed with full text, table values, a
bit mapped scanned image, and dates of the catalog.  This type of product will
become more and more prevalent.  Short of a _MAJOR_ rewrite, AACR II cannot
be relied on to handle this.  Trying to add a fully indexed entry for something
like Computer Select is more or less possible now if you have enough staff time
and an online system, but we are placing ourselves in the way of using a
bucket brigade to fill a fire truck's pumper.  We may through great
expenditures of energy make it work for a while, but if the new technology is
important it needs a different means of access.
                                                      Ciao,

jv