Library Quake News Birdie MacLennan 19 Jan 1994 20:30 UTC

Some of you may be interested.  Forwarded from the liber list.  --Birdie
----------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 14:19:59 -0500
Originator: liber@moose.uvm.edu

TO:       Folks across the network
SUBJECT:  Northridge earthquake of 1/17/94
FROM:     Deborah Kegel (ARIEL liaison at UC- San Diego)
          Science & Engineering Library

I've assembled a few things from the network and summaries
from the southern California tv news re: people and
libraries in the LA area.

I don't think you'll be hearing from Northridge real soon.  Their
campus and community is in disarray and power had not been
fully restored to parts of the San Fernando Valley as of
Tuesday morning.

1.  In addition to the freeway and bulding damage you have seen on the
national news, we have had reports from University of California at Irvine
(in Orange County) that books fell from their shelves.

2. Santa Barbara (north of Ventura and LA Counties) has not had phone
service.
We haven't been able to get through today to UCSB's fax machine.

3.  California State University - Northridge campus is closed until the
end of the month.  Their OCLC code is CNO.  Don't try to borrow from
until further notice.   The news reporter from Channel 5 in LA broadcast
footage of the CSU-Northridge library yesterday morning.  Some of the
concrete roof overhang had broken off and fallen to the ground, some windows
were broken, and there were small cracks in the base of a side of the library
building.  It's a relatively new 3-story structure and I expected more
windows to have broken considering where the earthquake occurred.

4.  UCLA news below:
Date:    Tue, 18 Jan 94
From: Ian Paul Da Costa
Subject: UCLA Earthquake update

The University Research Library at UCLA saw a lot of books fall from the
shelves during our recent earthquake.  The Library is closed to the public
until further notice.  We are unable to retrieve books from the stacks until
they have been reshelved.  ILL is operating on a skeleton staff as personnel
are diverted to the reshelving and clean-up process.  Thanks you for your
understanding.

     ....(later that afternoon)

Due to the recent earthquake in Los Angeles, UCLA  will become a non-supplier
on OCLC.  (Symbol CLU, (This also applies to the Cal. State Univ. contract))
The Biomedical library will continue to accept DOCLINE requests. We will
notify the LISTSERV as soon as normal operations resume.

                                                 Ian Da Costa
                                                 UCLA URL ILL
Date:    Tue, 18 Jan 94 13:52 PST
To: ucills@library.Berkeley.EDU
From: Bob Freel
Subject: Staff and Services at SRLF

Dear Friends,

As you know, the San Fernando Valley was rocked by a magnitude
6.6 earthquake early yesterday morning.  The epicenter is
located  approximately 10 miles north of the SRLF and UCLA campus.

SRLF staff have all survived.  All of our homes had at least a
little damage, and some of our homes had extensive damage.
Almost 1/2 of our staff were able to come to work today.  They
are now reshelving books at UCLA's University Research Library.
Staff who did not come to work are either cleaning up the damage
at their homes, assisting relatives, or they could not get to
work because of the many freeway closures.

The SRLF fared extremely well.  There was some very minor
superficial damage to the stacks area, and through out the
building about two dozen books fell off the shelves.  Because
we did not know what to expect today and because the UCLA campus
is closed we are closed.  However, we expect to resume all
operations tomorrow.

-Bob Freel

(SRLF is the Southern Regional Library Facility - the southern UC's storage
located on the UCLA campus)

Well, that's all the news from the LA Basin for now.

Residents in San Diego were wakened by the jolt of the earthquake, but little
damage was done except for falling books, etc. in the homes of people living
in the northern portion of San Diego county.

Here at UC San Diego libraries we had no books falling off shelves and all of
our library buildings are new or have been structurally retrofitted for
earthquake safety or had seismic bracing on the bookshelves.