Re: Series Use Steve Savage 23 Feb 1994 21:38 UTC

A couple of years ago, we conducted an informal survey of reference
questions patrons asked at our periodicals service desk.  Of the
50,000 questions our staff answered, about 1% were answered using
series statements in bib records.  But it's important to keep in
mind that people generally would not ask for monographic sets and
series titles at our periodicals desk, since those are shelved
in a different building with our monographic collection.  Most
questions related to series would logically be asked at our Reference
Dept. desk.  Do any Reference staff on SERIALST have any information
related to this question? (Are there any reference staff on the list?  Given
that the majority of reference materials are serials, and the majority of
patron use of research collections involves serials, I'd certainly hope so!)

Steve Savage
University of Kentucky Libraries