Newspaper storage Paul Livingston 25 Feb 1994 15:17 UTC

Following is a copy of the message I sent to Steve Murden regarding his
question on newspaper storage. I have since subscribed to the discussion
group.

"Paul Livingston"
plivings@nla.gov.au
National Library of Australia
Phone: +616 2621448   Fax: +616 2621502

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 19:12:14 +22304700 (EET)
From: Paul Livingston <plivings@nla.gov.au>
To: smurden@ruby.vcu.edu
Subject: Newspaper storage

Steve,
Your message about Newspaper storage was forwarded to me by another member
of staff who is on the Serial Users Discussion Group List. At the National
Library of Australia our newspaper collection is closed access but our
papers are stored on conventional shelving. We have two methods of storing
material. The first which is OK for closed access and little used title is
to shrink wrap them in bundles about three inches thick. I don't think
this option is appropriate for you. Second method is using specially
designed Collection Storage Boxes which are archivally sound, strong,
moisture proof and highly resistant to chemical damage. They are made of
polyproplene (sorry about the spelling chemistry is not my storng area).
They measure 505 x 320 x 55 mm. They have an internal slipcase, external
hard cover and a carrying handle. We have a smaller version which we use as
an alternative to binding for serial storage.

Regards,
Paul