Re: Alphabetical to Classified Shelf Arrangement (3 messages) ANN ERCELAWN 30 Mar 1994 01:57 UTC

3 messages, 81 lines:
____________________

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 09:08:12 -0600
From: Yen Yen Chin <YYCHIN@MSUS1.BITNET>
Subject: RE: Alphabetical to Classified Shelf Arrangement (Paul Reynolds)

We catalog and classify our periodicals. After we completed cataloging
the periodicals, we reshelved them by classification numbers. The main
benefit of shelving periodicals by the class numbers is that even a
periodical changed title many times, they will still be shelved together.
If a periodical title changed, but the volume number continues, "DO NOT"
change the cutter number (whether  you use Dewey or LC) so they will be
shelved together. It is also Library of Congress's practice.  If the
new title started with vol. 1 again, then it does not matter, because
you may even assign a complete different class number. When we shelved
periodicals alphabetically by title, we used a lot of dummy to indicate
where the new titles are shelved. To shelve they by class number, we
eleminated all the dummies too.

Yen Yen Chin
Serial Cataloger
Mankato State University
YYCHIN@MSUS1.MSUS.EDU
________________

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 10:34:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: Kerry Kresse <KRESSE@MACC.WISC.EDU>

Paul -- Don't do it!  Keep your journals alphabetically arranged!  My
perspective comes from a branch library (chemistry and physics) with around
45,000 volumes.  We had books and journals intershelved, all in a dewey
classification.  It irritated me (and my patrons) that they had to look up a
call number for a journal when the collection was so small.  After I left that
university, they split the collection up into monographs and journals, and
arranged the journals by title.

I find little to recommend a classified arrangement of journals unless you have
a large collection.  Then, a classified arrangement would group journals
together by subject.  At our main library, the journals are arranged
alphabetically by title, and are on 4 floors.  They are mostly social science
and general periodicals because all the science journals are out in the
branches.  All the branches have journals arranged by titles.  They are all
classified to place them in alphabetical order.  Title changes are handled by
extending the cutter a number or two, e.g. B32 to B322, etc.  Extreme title
changes (e.g. Soviet journal of nuclear physics to Particles and Nuclei) place
the titles in whatever section is appropriate alphabetically.  (In this example,
the journal moves from the S section to the P section.)  I have found that this
is best.  It can be difficult for the first several years, but down the road it
is better.  For example, the old British Journal of Applied Physics turned into
Journal of Physics D.  Both titles were kept together in the B section, and
confuses patrons to no end.

Good luck!

.... Kerry L. Kresse.  Physics Library, University of Wisconsin -- Madison ....

  ... (608) 262-9500 << kresse@wiscmacc.bitnet or kresse@macc.wisc.edu >> ...
_____________

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 08:25:26 LCL
From: Kathie Martin <kmartin@GAC.EDU>

While we are considering Paul Reynold's question concerning shelving
periodicals under their classification rather than alphabetically, may I
ask for some advice?

Our collection is shelved alpha., but in 3 different locations!  We have
the current year-year 1/2 near the reference desk, 1986-92 in another
alphabet just beyond them (these are primarily bound) and everything else
(which won't fit on our main floor) on another floor.

It is time for a major shift, and we should be considering if there is a
better way to be doing this - any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

--
Kathie Martin                        Internet: kmartin@gac.edu
Serials Department                   Phone:    507-933-7562