Incorrect ISSN's (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 16 May 1994 15:31 UTC

2 messages, 53 lines:
--------------------------

Date:         Mon, 16 May 1994 09:10:47 EDT
From:         Cindy Hepfer <HSLCINDY@UBVM.BITNET>
Subject:      Re: incorrect ISSN's

Genevieve and SERIALST participants,

We have been doing automated checkin for a number of years now, and so
have been paying special attention to incorrect ISSNs all of that time.
I have not noticed an increase in the number of incorrect ISSNs lately,
in fact I'd say we are finding fewer of them.  Perhaps STM publishers,
whose publications we handle, have a step up on some other publishers
in this regard.

In any event, whenever we find an incorrect ISSN on an journal issue, we
send a copy of the OCLC record and a photocopy of the incorrect ISSN as
published on that issue to NSDP.  My understanding is that NSDP staff
add the incorrect ISSN to the 022 field (you may want to add the incorrect
ISSN to the 022 field on your system) and send the publisher a letter thanking
them for using the ISSN but advising them that the one they are publishing is
incorrect.

NSDP's address is:
    National Serials Data Program
    Serial Record Division
    Library of Congress
    Washington, DC 20540

A correct ISSN is very valuable to those of us doing automated checkin. It is
even more valuable when it's displayed prominently on the front or back cover
of each issue!

Cindy Hepfer
State University of New York at Buffalo Health Sciences Library

------------------------------
Date:         Mon, 16 May 1994 09:08:11 EDT
From:         "D.Wisniewski" <DEBMS@CUNYVM.BITNET>

At this library, our serials checkin system is based entirely on ISSNs.
We call the publisher and the Medical Library Center in NY to report
incorrect issns, but it's a time-consuming process and sometimes the
publishers forget to call back with the outcome. Our goal is to keep
our system accurate with the issn found on the issue itself.

D.Wisniewski
Serials Librarian
Mt.Sinai School of Medicine
debms@cunyvm.cuny.edu