(no subject) Birdie MacLennan 19 May 1994 14:47 UTC

Regarding stripped mail headers and lost return address information from
SERIALST mail, Mario Rups sends the following information for a setting
a DUALHR, which should be useful to those who currently receive mail with
stripped out headers.  Thanks, Mario!    -- Birdie

p.s.  But I still think it's good practice to sign email messages!

>I have received some notices and complaints that some of our subscribers'
>mailing systems strip out mail headers (i.e., return address info.) before
>Thanks.
>
>    Birdie MacLennan                bmaclenn@uvmvm.bitnet

Sorry -- I'm on digest, so this point may well already have been made over
and over already, but: my system also blinds me by stripping off the
headers, which is especially problematic for me, as I am also a listOWNER.

However -- since you are using version 1.7f or later of listserv,
the individual listmember can SET SERIALST DUALHDR, which will
add the name of the individual poster.

E.g., from lstown-l; the "--- Information from the mail header" part is
what is added, the rest is what our system sees fit to leave us (I stripped
out the : after From and To myself):

18-MAY-1994 19:46:46.00
>To     IN%"LSTOWN-L%SEARN.BITNET@SEGATE.SUNET.SE"  "Multiple recipients of list
LSTOWN-L"
>CC:
>Subj:  Query: recent NY Times article on law firm's mass posting to net

>Poster:       Hugh Jarvis <ANTOWNER@UBVM.BITNET>
>Subject:      Query: recent NY Times article on law firm's mass posting to net

[message deleted]

You might suggest that to your listmembers, as I so often suggest it to
mine (or to others in the same situation).  Relatively few people seem to
know about this option.

Mario Rups, listmember, SERIALST
            co-listowner, ARCANA