Oblique Newspaper Folders Jean W. Farrington 27 May 1994 14:33 UTC

  From: Jean W. Farrington <jfarring@pobox.upenn.edu>
  Subject: Oblique Folders for Newspapers
  Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 09:00:06 -0400 (EDT)

        We have used the Oblique folders for our newspapers for 10-15
  years also.  We keep all of the current issues (several months of each or
  until the microfilm is received) and each folder will hold about a week's
  worth of daily newspapers.  Our collection is heavily used so we find we
  do need to replace the folders fairly regularly.  When the folder is
  filled, it can be heavy and this puts a strain on the hangers which can
  cause the folder to tear.  One disadvantage is that if patrons re-file the
  papers themselves (we try to discourage this) they can easily put them
  back in the wrong folder and they can be "missing" or unfindable for a
  long time.  However, overall, I like this approach because it remains a
  fairly neat and un-messy way to display current newspapers in an open
  stack collection.

        While not perfect, I have yet to find a better alternative to
  closed stacks.  We get between 150 and 200 current newspaper titles.

  Jean W. Farrington             jfarring@pobox.upenn.edu
  Head, Serials Dept.           Phone:  (215) 898-7563
  Van Pelt Library              Fax:    (215) 898-0559
  University of Pennsylvania
  Philadelphia, PA  19104-6278