Cataloging Question re. Serial Reprints (Karen Nadeski) Ann Ercelawn 03 Jun 1994 23:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 1994 18:28:09 -0500
From: Karen Nadeski <KLNADESKI@AMHERST.BITNET>
Subject: Cataloging question re serial reprints

What do people do when a reprint publisher has ignored title changes and
reprinted the entire run of a serial as one title?  I know that separate
records are made for each original and the linking fields are used to
note the relationship of the original titles, but I can't seem to find
any guidance about making/not making a note about the "with" situation.
I assume the 777 field is not used, since this was not the original
relationship.  Do you add a 500 "With:" or "Reprinted with:" note?

Thanks in advance for any responses I get.  Also, if this is written down
anywhere, I'd love to know the source!  Appendix L, p. 6, of the CONSER
manual has a neat grid for regular-print reprints.  Under 780/785, it
says "If title has changed, create separate records and link, even when
reprinted in the same volume."  However, I'm not sure this implies that
a "With:" note is not made.

Karen Nadeski
Serials Recon Cataloger
Amherst College