Cataloging Question re Serial Reprints (Karen Nadeski) Ann Ercelawn 09 Jun 1994 02:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 1994 18:12:39 -0500
From: Karen Nadeski <KLNADESKI@AMHERST.BITNET>
Subject: Cataloging Question re Serial Reprints

I think I may have found the answer to the question I posed to this list
last Friday, although I have still been unable to find a written policy
statement.

While looking through Ann Vidor and Leslie Dees' NOTES SELECTED FROM LIBRARY
OF CONGRESS SERIAL RECORDS ..., I came across a "Reprinted with:" note and
decided to search the title in OCLC.  I retrieved two records: OCLC #7418939
and #6034738.  One was entered by LC in 1980 and the other in 1981 but they
both have Desc: a.

What LC has done is input the usual 580 reprint note and then add a second
580 for the "Reprinted with:" note.  The 777 field is then used to link the
"reprinted with" titles.

I guess this is the next best thing to actually having a policy statement!

Karen Nadeski
Serials Recon Cataloger
Amherst College