ALA Discussion Group Announcement (Ann O'Neill) Ann Ercelawn 12 Jun 1994 01:41 UTC

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 1994 13:41:00 -0500 (EST)
From: "Oneill, Ann" <ONEIA.ILS@MHS.UNC.EDU>
Subject: Do I REALLY want a Ph.D.?

This is being posted to multiple lists, sorry for any duplication.
Please forward to other lists or interested people.

ALA Discussion Group Announcement

"Do I REALLY want/need at Ph.D.?"  Sponsored by the Doctoral Students
Committee of LRRT.

Saturday, June 25th, 9:30-11:00 a.m.  (Room is unknown at this time,
please check the program)

This discussion is intended for those people thinking about getting a
Ph.D. in LIS or related fields.  A panel of current and recently
completed doctoral students will discuss issues that include: Do I need
or want a Ph.D. ? Is a doctorate appropriate for my career goals?  What
should I think about as I make my decision?  How do I select the program
that fits my needs?  What should I expect?

Three speakers will share  their thoughts and experiences and the floor
will then be opened for questions and discussion.

If you are thinking about getting a doctorate, or trying to decide which
school to attend, please come to the meeting and share the experiences of
people currently in doctoral programs.

Speakers:       Mary Cissell - Texas Woman's University
                Amy Knapp - University of Pittsburgh
                John Moorman - University of Illinois
Discussion Leader :     Ann O'Neill - University of North Carolina.

Questions or comments may be addressed to: Ann O'Neill,
ONEIA.ILS@MHS.UNC.EDU