ALA Journal Subscriptions (Bob Persing) Ann Ercelawn 14 Jun 1994 20:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 16:04:53 -0400
From: Bob Persing <persing@POBOX.UPENN.EDU>

We recently received a note from _Library Systems Newsletter_ about our
subscription.  It mentions that "ALA has outsourced its subscription
records" to someone called "S&S".  A card attached to the letter gives us
the choice of paying our sub. (which had lapsed) either to S&S or through
any subscription agency.  S&S's full name and address were not included on
the letter or the card.

I called the ALA office in Chicago, and was told ALA had indeed hired
a company, S&S Computer Services of Aurora, IL, to handle all of their
journal subscriptions, as well as their book & graphics order fulfillment.
I was also told I should address subscription questions to S&S.

Is this news to everybody else?  I didn't see any notice about this in the ALA
journals I read.  The change was apparently made as of 1/94, but I don't
remember any notice to subscribers from ALA.  (We receive most ALA journals as
part of our membership, so there is no renewal invoice per se.)

Bob Persing
Assistant Head of Serials
Van Pelt Library, University of Pennsylvania
3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA  19104-6278
E-mail: persing@pobox.upenn.edu
Phone:  215-898-2815    Fax: 215-898-0559