ALA Discussion Group -- Serials Section (Dena Hutto) Ann Ercelawn 20 Jun 1994 19:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 13:27:21 -0400
From: "HUTTO, DENA" <DHH@PSULIAS.PSU.EDU>
Subject: ALA Discussion Group -- Serials Section

Have you ever wondered how the results of all of our hard work with
serials systems, check-in, or cataloging really appear to the public?  Or
whether the standards we follow in recording serials holdings and serials
cataloging make sense to the people who use our libraries?  Does it take
four years and a college degree before the students learn how to find journal
articles in our libraries, or can the freshman succeed on the first visit?

If you'd like a fresh perspective on the accessibility of serials in
libraries -- and if you have a fresh perspective to share -- you won't want to
miss the ALCTS Serials Section Research Libraries Discussion Group at ALA in
Miami, where the discussion topic will be:

                WHAT DO THE UNDERGRADUATES THINK?

        How Others See and Use Serial Records in Libraries

                        Saturday, June 25, 1994
                          9:30 - 11:00 AM

                       Marriott -- Lummus Island

        Guest Speakers: Katie Clark, Head of Life Sciences Library
                        Loanne Snavely, Head of Arts Library

                        Penn State University

Our guest speakers will speak about real-life problems that inexperienced
users have had in their libraries in looking for serials information.  Come
with stories of your own and ideas for how we can make life easier for the
undergraduates (and maybe even the tenured professors!) in our libraries.

-- Dena Hutto, Chair
   Penn State University
   DHH@PSULIAS.PSU.EDU
   (814) 863-1346