survey (Larry Kammerer) Marcia Tuttle 25 Jun 1994 14:38 UTC

Please reply to Larry Kammerer, not to serialst. Thanks! -mt

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 22:46:31 -0400
From: Larry Kammerer <LK7129%ALBNYVMS.bitnet@uvmvm.uvm.edu>
Subject: survey

Dear Serials Librarian,

     I presently attend the School of Information Science and Policy at
the State University of New York at Albany from which institution I expect
to have earned a MLS degree by summer's end. So that I might obtain some
information I need in order to write my master's thesis, I have composed a
survey which follows this introductory note.  I have targeted the survey
at serials librarians who work at academic libraries that serve programs
that receive accreditation from specialized accrediting agencies. The
survey seeks to gather information relevant to the periodicals collections
of academic libraries and the roles played by those collections in the
accrediting process.  To help me fulfill my degree requirements I ask that
you please take a few minutes of your time to complete the survey.  Please
complete the survey by July 09.  Completed surveys may be returned to me
by e-mail or through the U.S. Postal Service.

     If you would like to receive a summary of the results of this survey,
please place your name and address on the survey, and I will gladly honor
your request.

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Lawrence Kammerer
                                        41 Harris Ave.
                                        Albany, NY  12208

                                        518-453-9863 (phone)

                                        LK7129@uacsc1.albany.edu
                                                   or
                                        LK7129@albnyvms.bitnet

                  SURVEY QUESTIONS FOR SERIALS LIBRARIANS

Name of Library  _______________________________________________

Name of affiliated college or university  ______________________

Library serves a =E2  =D5 public college or university.
                 =E2  =D5 private college or university.

Please indicate the student population of the college or
university  __________

1.)  Please list the name(s) of the specialized accrediting
agency(ies) with which the library has been involved.

2.)  Has the library engaged in a serials cancellation project(s)
since 1985?   =E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

3.)  If you checked yes to question 2, how many serial titles has
the library canceled during that time?  ______________

4.)  What percentage of the materials budget does the library
spend on periodicals* ?  ______%
(* NOTE: periodicals =3D journals or magazines that are issued at
regularly recurring intervals.)

5.)  Have the subscription requirements of any specialized
accrediting agency(ies) resulted in the short changing of the
periodicals budgets of other academic programs?
=E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

6.)  If you checked yes to question 5, has this funding imbalance
significantly hampered the library in its mission to adequately
serve all academic programs?
=E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

7.)  Has the library refrained from canceling periodical
subscriptions due to the requirements of a specialized
accrediting agency?      =E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

8.)  If you checked yes to question 7, please list the name(s) of
the accrediting agency(ies) that requires the library to own the
periodicals.

9.)  Has the library entered into any formal regional cooperative
periodicals collection development agreement(s) in order to
compensate for canceled subscriptions?   =E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

10.)  If you checked yes to question 9, in your experience has
any specialized accrediting agency recognized the cooperative
collection development agreement as a viable alternative to the
library's actual ownership of a periodical title considered
essential by the accrediting agency?   =E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

11.)  If you checked yes to question 10, please list the name(s)
of the accrediting agency(ies).

12.)  Has the library employed any document delivery system(s) in
order to compensate for canceled subscriptions?
=E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

13.)  If you checked yes to question 12, please briefly describe
the method(s) of document delivery.

14.)  In your experience, has any specialized accrediting agency
recognized any document delivery system supported by adequate,
accessible periodicals indexes or abstracts as a suitable
replacement for actual ownership of an essential periodical?
=E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

15.)  If you checked yes to question 14, please list the name(s)
of the accrediting agency(ies) and the method(s) of document
delivery.

16.)  Have any specialized accrediting agencies prescribed a core
periodicals collection which the library must own?
=E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

17.)  If you checked yes to question 16, please list the name(s)
of the accrediting agency(ies).

18.)  In your experience, has any specialized accrediting agency
revised its criteria for evaluating periodicals collections in
response to the library's dilemma caused by escalating
subscription prices, proliferating periodicals, and shrinking
library budgets?   =E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

19.)  If you checked yes to question 18, please list the name(s)
of the accrediting agency(ies).

20.)  Have you ever, through any channels, received notification
of an accreditation workshop or seminar sponsored by a
specialized accrediting agency?   =E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

21.)  Have you ever attended an accreditation seminar or workshop
sponsored by a specialized accrediting agency?
=E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

22.)  If you checked yes to question 21, please list the name(s)
of the sponsoring accrediting agency(ies).

23.)  If you checked yes to question 21, would you rate your
experience with the seminar(s) or workshop(s) as:   =E2  =D5 very
positive     =E2  =D5 positive     =E2  =D5 marginal     =E2  =D5 neg=
ative

24.)  Have you ever served as an intern or a member of a
specialized accrediting agency's visiting accreditation team?
=E2  =D5 yes     =E2  =D5 no

I will gladly accept and welcome any additional comments or
elaborations that you choose to offer.

                                        Thanks!
                                        Larry Kammerer
                                        LK7129@uacsc1.albany.edu