non-current titles in Kardex? (Elizabeth Brucker) Marcia Tuttle 08 Jul 1994 23:30 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 13:31:19 -0500
From: Elizabeth Brucker <ebrucker@EAGLE.IBC.EDU>
Subject: non-current titles in Kardex?

I inherited a Kardex when I came to my first professional job in
November, 1993.  I'm ready to make some changes, but I was wondering what
the state of the Kardex is elsewhere.

For example, does your Kardex include any non-current titles (aside from
title changes when you are still receiving the new title)?  I will
explain how this question arose at the end of this message.

Does your Kardex include any see-references?

Does your Kardex include information about missing bound volumes, or do
you track them in a separate file?

Does your Kardex include instructions for materials not checked in (e.g.,
throw-aways, newsletters which are routed or filed)?

Our assistant, who supervises the check-in and often does it herself,
asked if she could split our cards into 2 files for current and
non-current titles.  The idea dawned on me that we may not need the cards
for non-current titles.  The record of bound volumes is kept in the
Kardex, but also very accurately in the shelflist, so I can't think why
we have all those cards for titles which have been closed out.  No one
else here knows why either, except that the former, paraprofessional
serials supervisor was very thorough.

Liz Brucker                     *       (708) 960-1500  X8504       *
Automation/Serials Librarian    *                                   *
Illinois Benedictine College    *       EBRUCKER@eagle.ibc.edu      *
"Irrational persistence is a    *       BRUCKER@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu *
 powerful force." -- W. Wharton * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *