Re: non-current titles in Kardex? (Jim Mouw) Marcia Tuttle 11 Jul 1994 14:43 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 09:00:58 +0700
From: James Mouw <mouw@MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: Re: non-current titles in Kardex? (Elizabeth Brucker)

As the maintainer of one of the world's largest extant maual serials files I
thought I might as well respond to this.

Note that we do not technically have a Kardex, but our file of 3X5 cards
fulfills essentially the same purpose.

>Subject: non-current titles in Kardex?
>
>I inherited a Kardex when I came to my first professional job in
>November, 1993.  I'm ready to make some changes, but I was wondering what
>the state of the Kardex is elsewhere.
>
>For example, does your Kardex include any non-current titles (aside from
>title changes when you are still receiving the new title)?  I will
>explain how this question arose at the end of this message.

Our file is split into three sections.  The Active Serial File (ASER) which
contains records for all currently received titles.  The record includes
current issues, bound volumes (on a separate card), a copy of the cataloging
record, a card containing binding information, and a copy of the purchase order.

The inactive file (ISER) contains those titles which are no longer received
for any reason.  When a title "goes inactive" the cards are transferred to
the ISER file, this could be caused by either a title change by a cessation
or by a cancellation.  Generally, only the cataloging copy and bound
holdings cards are transferred, the rest of the set is dumped.

A local field in our system is "activity" which is coded ASER or ISER,
giving us a clear indication as to where the records should be located.

The withdrawn file contains records for those titles which are no longer
held by the University of Chicago.  We keep the records because records of
their existence can be found in a variety of old printed products, and we do
have questions from time to time.

Why are the files split??  Because we have huge files, the total number in
all files easily exceeds 100,000 records.  The split file makes it easier
for us, a smaller library might not get the same mileage.

>Does your Kardex include any see-references?

The Kardex contains thousands of see-references, some machine-produced,
others made "on the fly" by the recording staff.  It also contains referral
cards, which are essentially bibliographer decision cards.  They have the
title of the item and instructions to either "discard on receipt" or "send
unrecorded to nnnnn".

>Does your Kardex include information about missing bound volumes, or do
>you track them in a separate file?

Since the Karkex contains all binding information and gap in holdings would
indicate a missing volume.

>Does your Kardex include instructions for materials not checked in (e.g.,
>throw-aways, newsletters which are routed or filed)?

See answer above.