Directory of Electronic Journals/Internet Edition (Ann Okerson) Ann Ercelawn 25 Jul 1994 03:43 UTC

Date: Sun, 24 Jul 1994 23:25:20 -0400
From: Ann Okerson <ann@CNI.ORG>
Subject: Directory of Electronic Journals/Internet Edition

ARL OFFERS DIRECTORY OF E-JOURNALS & NEWSLETTERS ON INTERNET

The Association of Research Libraries announces the availability by
gopher of its innovative Directory of Electronic Journals and
Newsletters, listing 440+ titles in the current version.

gopher://arl.cni.org:70/11/scomm/edir

Later this year, WAIS- searching and WWW access will be provided.

Since 1991, ARL has published a printed version of the e-journals
and newsletters directory.  In 1991, 1992, and 1993, this work was
compiled by Michael Strangelove at the University of Ottawa.  As of
1994, the compilation of this database moved to the ARL, currently
the work of Lisabeth King, Research Assistant, with the contributions
of many of you.

The printed book also includes the definitive directory of academic
discussions, created and maintained by a team led by Diane Kovacs of
Kent State University.  This work has been available on the Internet
throughout its existence and can be retrieved from the listserv@kentvm
or listserv@kentvm.kent edu.  You may also retrieve it via anonymous ftp
to: ksuvxa.kent.edu.

Now in its fourth edition, the printed Directory of Electronic Journals,
Newsletters, and Academic Discussion Lists is an unrivalled source of
information for high quality academic resources on the Internet.  If you
are interested in obtaining it, please message ARL's Office of
Scientific and Academic Publishing: osap@cni.org

We do invite you to offer the ARL e-journal directory through your local
or wide area network by pointing your gopher to arl.cni.org.  *We would
appreciate knowing you are doing so, to give us a sense of how wide the
use of the e-version is.*  We welcome any comments you may have.  Please
direct them to Ann Okerson (ann@cni.org), the project coordinator for
ARL.  The gopher file was created by Dru Mogge, ARL's Electronic Services
Coordinator.

MODERATED LIST FOR NEW JOURNAL/NEWSLETTER ANNOUNCEMENTS

Keeping such a resource current is a constant responsibility.  To
facilitate this, we have also created the list:

NewJour-L@e-math.ams.org

which publishes announcements of new electronic journals as they become
available.  To subscribe, send mail to listproc@e-math.ams.org with
nothing on the Subject: line and the single message SUBSCRIBE NEWJOUR-L.
We welcome your postings to this moderated list.  The postings in turn
inform our database.

We thank the many contributors and commentators who make this project
possible.

Ann Okerson
Office of Scientific & Academic Publishing
Association of Research Libraries
Washington, DC
ann@cni.org