Ads in Magazines, ca. 1880-1910 (Henry Pisciotta) Ann Ercelawn 29 Jul 1994 21:06 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 15:12:39 -0400
From: Henry Pisciotta <hp03+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Subject: ads in mags c1880-1910

Dear serials afficionados,

For a possible dissertation topic in American art history I am
interested in locating good runs of large-circulation American popular
magazines, during the period 1880 to 1910, that contain all of their
pictorial advertising.  The difficulty is that, in those days, it was
customary to remove the pictorial advertising sections before binding.
The titles themselves (Harper's, Scribner's, etc.) are easy to find, the
pictorial ads are not.  I have contacted CRL and, generally, their runs
do not contain advertising sections.  I can be somewhat flexible on the
exact titles that I use, but they must have had a very large readership.
 I would especially like to find these journals at an institution within
a 4-hour drive from Pittsburgh.

I do not read this list.  Perhaps I could trouble you to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Henry Pisciotta
Head of Fine Arts & Special Collections
Carnegie Mellon University Libraries