Re: Circulating Periodicals (Steve Murden) Ann Ercelawn 28 Sep 1994 02:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 18:19:29 -0400
From: Steve Murden <SMURDEN@VCUVAX.BITNET>
Subject: RE: Circulating Periodicals (Becky Breedlove)

> Subject: Circulating Periodicals
>
> Oh, no!  What a tech services nightmare!....
> ..... & I just don't buy
> the idea that if items don't circulate patrons tend to destroy or
> pilfer them...you will always have those individuals regardless of
> what policy you have in place...
> What percentage of academic institutions circulate their periodicals?
>
> Becky Breedlove

I wholeheartedly agree with Becky's assessment and was just waiting
for someone to speak before I added my 2 cents worth.  I can not
imagine how this could be handled in a library with a large collection.
It would make our lives a living hell.  Are there any libraries with
periodicals collections in the neighborhood of 8-9,000 titles who
are doing this?

Steve Murden
Virginia Commonwealth University
smurden@gems.vcu.edu