Re: Bindery Preparation (Susan Davis) Ann Ercelawn 29 Sep 1994 20:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 14:02:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Susan Davis <UNLSDB@UBVM.BITNET>
Subject: RE: Bindery Preparation (Connie Foster)

Our technical services area is accessible (via key) to circulation staff on
nights and weekends, but only selected staff have the knowledge and authority
to come down and look for needed issues/volumes.  Could a responsible
public services person be given a key for access to these in-process
binding materials?

We do maintain a bindery card file even though we show that items
are sent to the bindery on our ILS (NOTIS).  It doesn't seem to be that
much extra work.  We keep paper binding slips that are filled out
with the variable binding information along with the master (which
shows the color, account no., title, etc.).  It is often helpful to
see past binding records as reponsibility for binding has resided in
several areas before it came to my section.  We use our copy of the
binding slip to clean up our record of current issues once the
volume is returned from the binder.

Susan Davis                           BITNET: UNLSDB@UBVM
Head, Periodicals                   INTERNET: UNLSDB@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
Central Technical Services             PHONE: (716) 645-2784
Lockwood Library Bldg.                   FAX: (716) 645-5955
State University of NY at Buffalo
BUFFALO, NY  14260-2200