Re: Publisher charges to A & I services Joseph H. Orth 10 Oct 1994 19:54 UTC

Al Henderson (70244.1532@compuserve.com) wrote:
> At present, your subscription payment to Wiley subsidizes the 'free'
> subscription to the A&I publisher. Why shouldn't the A&I publisher
> carry his/her own weight in the marketplace? Won't Wiley have to raise
> subscription prices more if this particular 'cost' cannot be cut?

I'm almost surprised that publishers don't pay A&I services to include
their journals in their indexes as well as providing free copies of the
originals.  An initial question I have always asked before subscribing to
a journal is "Where is it indexed?"  This lets people back into the
journal and makes the journal much more useful.  If the A&I services
would drop a few Wiley journals I daresay that some libraries would also
drop the subscription since the journals would be harder to use.

Just my opinion.
--
Joe Orth                                joseph_h_orth@solinet.net
Kilpatrick & Cody                       kc4001@sol1.solinet.net