Re: Year End Dups/Claims (Julie Bixby) Marcia Tuttle 29 Dec 1994 00:39 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 20:08:46 -0800
From: Julie Bixby <markb@SPOCK.DIS.CCCD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Year End Dups/Claims

> I am greatly frustrated dealing with Ebsco in relation to claiming
> journals not recv'd. I claim in the proper amount of time, whether over
> the computer or on the phone. I recv. a monthly claim form and dutifully
> check those I have still not recv. Months go by and then I am informed
> that that issue is no longer available. So we have incomplete volumes and
> then the chore begins to replace them. On several occasions I have made a
> request over the phone (cancel, add a journal, etc.) Called again several
> months later when and am told it was never followed through.
>
> So, I am wondering, do I understand right that perhaps it would be better
> for me to call the publisher directly to claim issues? Strikes me that we
> are doing their work but in the long run would save time.

Rose,

Unfortunately, you *do* end up doing some of the vendor's work.  Think
about it--the time you currently spend fruitlessly claiming to
your vendor, you could be claiming direct to the publisher--you're
still claiming, but you're more likely to get a response.  I've
noticed with Turner, that first claims rarely take effect until
6-8 weeks (to get a response).  Of course by then, you've done
a second claim (new month).  Keep track of which publications
you *do* get responses from via your vendor, and continue claiming
those through them.  Otherwise, you're better off doing it
yourself.

I've also noticed that some publishers will REFUSE to respond
to missing issue claims, on the basis that it's the Library's
fault for "losing" them.  They can't grasp the concept that
even the U.S. Postal Service messes up and Library's actually
don't receive items from time to time. <sigh>.

--
Julie Bixby                        Internet: markb@cccd.edu
Engage Romulan .sig cloaking device....