Gordon and Breach (Debbie Kalvee) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 30 Jan 1995 19:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 08:00:53 -0900
From: DEBBIE H KALVEE <FFDHK@AURORA.ALASKA.EDU>
Subject: Gordon and Breach

Has any institution decided to cancel their subscriptions with this
company? Since reviewing the "1995 Network Subscription Rates", we aren't
too inclined to pay these rates. Consider ADDICTION RESEARCH. The
base rate which does not allow for ILL or photocopying is $148. Not to
ILL, but allow for photocopying is $153. To allow for both ILL and
photocopying is $916. What about CHEMICAL PHYSICS REPORTS. The base
rate is $2582. To allow for photocopying, but not ILLing is $2587.
Full academic library network price = $7760!!

Is Gordon and Breach testing the waters to see if libraries will
stand for this? How can academic libraries monitor their periodical
collections and photocopiers, so patrons won't break the contract?
Can we expect other vendors to jump on this?

Debbie Kalvee, Bibliographic Access Management
Elmer E. Rasmuson Library, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
FFDHK@aurora.alaska.edu