Plants & Gardens title change (Martha Kellogg) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 03 Mar 1995 14:37 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 1995 08:18:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Martha Kellogg <MHK@URIACC.URI.EDU>
Subject: Plants & Gardens title change

to a series of handbooks: "21st century gardening series," we handle
this title as a series cataloged separately. In Serials we entered a
dummy bibliographic record into our serials system (INNOPAC) under
Brooklyn Botanic Garden. 21st Century Gardening Series, and attached
a checkin record set up as a quarterly.  We check in using the handbook
numbers which have been consistently printed in each issue (after the
first one [#138] Ferns.)  We put a standard note on the checkin record
to forward the individual issues to cataloging to be cataloged separately.

Since we use LC cataloging as our authority, when LC catalogs a series
separately, we follow their guidelines.  Our procedure is to set up a
dummy bib record in our system (supressed to the public), check each
issue in on this record, then forward the issues to cataloging where
they treat each as a separate title.

Martha Kellogg
Acquisitions Librarian
University of Rhode Island Library