Re: Ephemeral Holdings Statements (5 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 03 Mar 1995 20:17 UTC

5 messages:
___________

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 1995 10:14:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: Carol Fitzgerald <fitzgerc@TCPLINK.NREL.GOV>
Subject: RE: Ephemeral Holdings Statements (Jim Mumm)

          Our typical holdings statements read:

          "Current three years only."

          "Current three months only."

          "Current issue only."

          "Current month's issue."

          "Two weeks plus current week."

          Carol Fitzgerald
          National Renewable Energy Laboratory
          Library Serials Group

          Golden, CO
__________

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 1995 11:46:55 -0500
From: Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>

We use "Current 1 yr", "Current 2 yrs", etc. for those things with a
limited retention period and "Current issues retained until mf arrives" for
those for which that is the case.

Jeanette Skwor
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
skworj@uwgb.edu
__________

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 1995 11:10:41 -0800
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@MERCURY.SFSU.EDU>

>         I have two questions for anyone who cares to answer to this:
>
>         1.      Do you have consistent statements that you use to
>                 describe your holdings of this kind of material?

                  YES

>         2.      What is the wording for your holdings statements?

        usually for an item we only keep for one year (in paper):

        LIBRARY HAS:  CURRENT YEAR ONLY IN CURRENT PERIODICALS AREA.

        (for an item we only keep the latest year in paper, but discard
        because we also have subscription to the microfiche):

        LIBRARY HAS:  FICHE: VOL.1 (1980) TO CURRENT ISSUES.
                      LATEST YEAR IN CURRENT PERIODICALS AREA

        for an item we have film, fiche and only keep the current issues
until the fiche arrives (in this case a high use item kept at desk):

        LIBRARY HAS:  FILM: VOLUMES 1 (1923)-122 (1983)
                      FICHE: VOLUME 95 (1970) TO CURRENT ISSUES
                      CURRENT ISSUES LOCATED AT PERIODICALS SERVICE DESK

Hope that helps. -- Mitch

  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |                                               |   |
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
 |   |                                               |   |
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-( ___ )
   V                                                   V
       Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
       Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff.
____________

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 1995 14:38:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Judy <SZ5%NIHCU.bitnet@uvmvm.uvm.edu>
Subject: Holdings statements

Hi Jim,

We have lots of periodicals where we have limited retentions.
Also some reference books where we keep on the latest one or
two issues.  We have a code in the 049 field, $l, which we can
find using the boolean search module of our local system (Innopac).

We also have a library has field that has user friendly language
about our holdings. It's in the bib record, and is stored in 049
field, $y. It displays as Lib. has: Currnet, One year, Latest 2 eds.
etc., etc.  If you'd like to take a look, I can tell you how to
dial in, but our Innopac is not available over the internet.

Hope this helps,

Judy Schneider
US GAO Library                    "So Many Books ...
sz5@nihcu.bitnet                      So Little Time"
sz5@cu.nih.gov (Internet)

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 1995 10:34:52 -0900
From: FNJLO@VMS.AURORA.ALASKA.EDU

Here at the University of Alaska Fairbanks we have a number of titles
that are retained for one year.  Our holdings read "Library retains
current one year only" on our OPAC and "Current year" on WLN.  We do not
assign call numbers to these, letting all issues stay in our current
issue hanging folder until discarded after a year.

Judy Oswood
FNJLO@aurora.alaska.edu