Ephemeral Holdings Statements (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 06 Mar 1995 14:59 UTC

2 messages, 44 lines:
------------------------

Date:         Sat, 4 Mar 1995 18:36:19 -0800
From:         Hella Bluhm-Stieber <hbluhmst@SPARTA.SJSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Ephemeral Holdings Statements (Jim Mumm)

Hallo Jim,
We have quite a few journals we keep only for 1/2 year up to 3 years. We
just put "Current year" or "Current three years" in our holdings list
instead of the actual holdings. This seems to work fine.

Hella Bluhm-Stieber
Milton J. Chatton Medical Library
San Jose, Ca
hbluhmst@sparta.sjsu.edu

---------------------------
Date:         Sun, 5 Mar 1995 21:17:52 +0500
From:         Craig Fairley <fairley@INFORAMP.NET>
Subject:      Ephemeral Holdings Statements (Jim Mumm)

Library systems whose serials holdings statements  are
based on the MARC holdings format give you little choice.  The
statement is based on fixed field values.  you can use either
"latest" or "previous" plus a number plus the unit of measure
describing what is retained (year(s), issue(s) edition(s),
etc).  Therefore a holdings statement would be "latest 3 years"
or "previous 1 edition", etc.  The last library I was at added
the text "This location retains" in front of the standard text,
so the full statement would be, for example, "This location
retains latest 3 years."

I believe the "latest 3 years" concept is consistent with
ANSI/NISO Z39.44 standard for serials holdings statements.

The library also had a very complex set of standard statements
for multiple locations for runs and multiple copies, depending
on the circumstances.  Too much to explain here.

Keep in touch...

Craig Fairley (905)842-9506
[fairley@inforamp.net]