Ephemeral Holdings Statements (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 06 Mar 1995 22:56 UTC

2 messages, 65 lines:
------------------------

Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 1995 09:11:10 -0600
From:         "Kevin M. Randall" <kmr@NWU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Ephemeral Holdings Statements (Jim Mumm)

Jim Mumm wrote:

>        I have two questions for anyone who cares to answer to this:
>
>        1.      Do you have consistent statements that you use to
>                describe your holdings of this kind of material?
>
>        2.      What is the wording for your holdings statements?

Our most common message is:

        (CURRENT ISSUES ONLY RETAINED)

I'm not sure why it's in parentheses; maybe it's because it isn't a
statement of holdings, just a statement *about* the holdings...

For titles that we get in hardcopy and discard when the microform version
arrives, we have the following message:

        Current issues in periodicals until microform copy received.

This is a table-driven message that is represented by a code in the holdings
record.  (Someday we need to get "periodicals" changed to "Periodicals
Room", however...)

Kevin M. Randall
Head, Serials Cataloging Section
Northwestern University Library
Evanston, IL   60208-2300

internet: kmr@nwu.edu
   phone: (708) 491-2939
     fax: (708) 491-7637

----------------------------
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 08:23:23 -0500
From: Sheila O. Denn <DENN.SHEILA@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>
Subject: Ephemeral Holdings Statements (Jim Mumm) -Reply

+      1.      Do you have consistent statements that you use to
+                describe your holdings of this kind of material?

We try to be consistent about the statements.

+        2.      What is the wording for your holdings statements?

We do them in the form [current _________], where the blank is the period of
time we keep them (two years, six
months, etc.). We do not attempt to list what volumes or issues are included
within the period of time.

Hope this is helpful --

Sheila O. Denn
Technical Assistant (UNC Contractor)