Evaluating Dead Titles (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 16 Mar 1995 19:11 UTC

Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 1995 11:21:27 -0500
From:         SALOMON PAT <PSALOMO@BGSUOPIE.BITNET>
Subject:      Re: Evaluating dead titles

On Thu, 16 Mar 1995, Marilyn Parrish wrote:

> We are in the middle of evaluating the dead periodical titles before
> putting them on the opac. I have developed criteria based on connection
> to current titles, content, number of years of holdings, etc. What ways
> have others evaluated their dead titles? What policies has anyone
> established about retaining inactive titles?

Hi Marilyn,

Remember me?  Saw your inquiry and thought I'd answer.  We have put LIB
HAS statements for ALL our titles-live and dead-on our opac.  That way,
anyone anywhere who can dial in to BGLINK or even to OHIOLINK can see
exactly what we have. In fact, we're busy barcoding every bound volume so
patrons can see, volume by volume, what we own.

We won't have to decide to discard any unused volumes as a high density
storage building is under construction in Perrysburg for us and UT and
we'll ship little used volumes there.

------------------
Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:08:44 -0800
From:         Juliann Rankin <juliann_rankin@MACGATE.CSUCHICO.EDU>

Sorry I am not much help and we are going through the same process and I
would be very interested in any reply you receive.  Thanks

Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 1995 10:15:50 EDT
From:         Joanne Conroy <JCONROY@SBU.EDU>
Subject:      Evaluating Dead Titles

We have to do this soon also.  Would you be able to send me a copy of
the criterea you have developed?  If you have many requests for your
data, I'll simply look for the information on the SerialsList.  Sorry
I have no information to send you on the subject at this point.  I'm
about 5 projects behind at this point.  Thanks.  Joanne Conroy,
Library/Periodicals, St. Bonaventure University.